"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Hydrangeas

It's Hydrangea season where I live!

Aren't they so beautiful?!!!



              

What about you? Do you have Hydrangeas in your yard? If you don't, you should consider planting some. They are mood-lifters and joy-givers!!! Well, all flowers are, really. But for some reason, I've taken a particular liking to Lilacs and Hydangeas. My Lilacs are done for the year, but the Hydrangeas are here! Here! Finally here!

Several posts ago, I shared with you this picture:

             

I told you about how I've never had blue Hydangeas, but have always wanted them. And how Micah planted these in our front yard just this past fall. They began to bloom several weeks ago for the first time. I watched them like a hawk, crossing my fingers, and hoping and praying that they'd be successful. 

Today, they look like this:

           

(These two pictures are the view, looking down on them, from my front porch.)


I cannot adequately express how much this sight thrills me! My vision for them is that they will fill in this area the same way my established white hyrangeas fill in the area along my side porch:

See? :)

             

These white hydrangeas have been here for years, so I'm not sure how long it will take for my blue ones to grow up like this. Any gardeners out there who know? (Leave me a comment, pretty please! ;)

Every year that we've lived here, I have clipped these to make bouquets for the house. It didn't take long, however, before I realized that they would consistently wilt on me after only being inside for a few hours. I went to my friend, Ida, who is an extremely talented gardener/bouquet maker, to ask her advice. (Doesn't she have a beautiful name? She's a beautiful person, too! She's given me her flower arrangements through the years.)

I said, "Ida?! How come every time I get a flower arrangement from you, it lasts for a week?! And every time I make a bouquet of my own, it lasts for maybe a day?!!!"

She matter-of-factly replied, "It's because I condition them."

Ok. She had my complete attention. What is this conditioning of which she speaks? I was spellbound. I said, "Tell me! Tell me! I must know the secret magic behind your flowers!!!"

She went on to tell me three things that she does to her flowers while she makes her arrangements. It turns out she does have a few tricks up her sleeve, that work, and that the average person wouldn't know about. And today is your lucky day!!! Because I'm going to share these three tips with you!!!

               

I've been doing these three things to my flowers for several years now. I've learned the flowers that don't really need it and the flowers that do. Hydrangeas are definitely flowers that need this conditioning regimen, or they will wilt prematurely. 

Are you ready? 

(Oh! I'm so excited... This is so much fun!)

1. Clip the flowers in the morning.




Ida explained to me that flowers have the most water in their stems in the morning. She said that as the day goes on and heats up, their stem moisture dries out. By clipping them in the morning, they still have water in their stems when you're bringing them into the house, and this will help them last longer.

The earlier, the better!

2. Refrigerate them.



               

This one's hard for me because I like instant gratification and want to display them right away, but doing this really pays off in the end! 

I'm not sure about the science behind this trick, I just know that it works! I put them in cold water, and stick them in the fridge for a few hours. Sometimes I'm just doing one arrangement, so it's easy to scoot some things around to make room. Other times I'm doing several arrangements, and I have to get creative to find room for them all.



             

I've been known to pull shelves completely out! Nothing will stand between me and fresh flowers in the house! Haha! It's actually a nice opportunity to clean out the fridge and pitch old food, plus, shine up the shelves! 

             

I know what you're thinking... This girl needs to get a life! 

Well... This is my life!!! Haha!

As I was cleaning these shelves, I couldn't stop thinking about the blue hydrangea blooms in the front yard and how much I wanted to go clip a few. My temptation got the best of me, and back outside I went, clippers in hand. It kind of hurt me a little, though, haha... so I only brought in three. 

           

Into the fridge they went, to make friends with the others:

            

3. Bleach/Lemon water

            

After a few hours, it's time to make the water. Ida told me that she makes a solution of cold water mixed with some drops of bleach and lemon juice. I've been doing this ever since. I don't have a recipe or measurements, I just fill up my vase or mason jar with cold water, and add a few drops of each to the water. 

           

Then, they're ready to display! 

         

Yay! The fun part...

         

         



         

I was having fun until I excitedly turned the corner into the dining room with a fresh arrangement, only to be met by this mess. Whoops! We had forgotten to tidy up "summer school":


What fun is a fresh flower arrangement if it's hidden among clutter?! 

Maybe some of you have wondered while reading this post, Is all of this a good use of time? Well, I have found that beauty inspires! So, if bringing in a fresh flower arrangement spurs me on to tidy up a mess, then that helps to create a better home life, so... I believe that it's a wonderful use of time!

See?! Much better:


             

I want to show you one last thing before I go. Just in case you are reading this and feeling discouraged because perhaps you don't have flowers in your yard. Please take heart! Because beauty in the home is attainable for you, too. Just clip a few tree or bush branches and place them in a vase or pitcher that you find lovely. 

Like this:


Fresh decorating is the best kind of decorating because it infuses the home with life, color, and fragrance. 

Well, my sweet friends, I hope you found today's post helpful. We can all thank my good friend, Ida, for these wonderful tips. They really do make a difference in how long an arrangement lasts!

Love to you all...

And Happy Flower Arranging,

~ Courtney

2 comments:

  1. Love the blue hydrangeas! I have a small plant with one pink/blue flower on it. Can't wait for it to grow. Do you know how to change the ph to change the color from pink to blue? I had a neighbor who was able to get hers really blue, but I can't remember what she told me though. I had never heard of conditioning flowers. Thanks for that great tip! How long do they last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 4 days. I've noticed, though, that the longer they're in the fridge, the longer they'll last in the display. If you REALLY want to get fussy about it, you could take them out to trim their stems once per day, in which case I think you could get a few more days out of them. However, I usually don't mess with that. About the ph in hydrangeas, (keep in mind I'm
    Not a gardener and am learning as I go...) Hydrageas thrive in acidic soil. About a month ago I bought a bag of soil acidifier from my nursery for $12. It was granulated powder that I was instructed to sprinkle around the base of the new Hydragea plants. That's all I've done to them so far.
    PS- Several years ago Micah tried turning our white Hydrageas blue using this method and they didn't budge! Maybe because they were so established they were like, "Come on, man, you can't teach an old dog new tricks!" :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!