"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

New-Again Curtains

Oh, my dear readers! 

You will never know the turmoil I went through you bring you this post! 
If you follow me on Facebook you'll know that my iPad kicked the bucket and I didn't know if I'd ever blog again!

Sounds dramatic, I know, haha... But I had wondered if the Lord was telling me that my blogging days were over.

:(  :(  :(

Blood and countless tears were shed...

(Well, not literally of course, but that's how I felt!!!)

Then I saw a break in the clouds, and my guardian angel (aka Micah!) descended with a MacBook for me!

A MacBook!!!

(He's always been very supportive of my blogging efforts!)

I thought surely, all is saved in the blogging world! All will be well in my soul once more! All is fair in love and war!!!

Only there was one teeny tiny problem....

..............

I didn't know how to use it!!!

I had taught myself how to blog on my iPad, and this computer was completely different! I wanted to chuck it out the window give up many times, but I just kept thinking about you, my readers! I thought,  How will they ever get along in life if I retire my blog?! How will they sleep at night? can't do this wicked thing to them!!!

(I'M KIDDING! Calm down...)

Frustrated, I went to Micah and said, "I can't figure this stupid thing out. I need you to help me! I have a whopping 12 followers, and they're probably missing me right now!" So, he sat down with me and helped me work through the roadblocks I kept bumping into. He has always been very supportive of my blogging efforts. (Have I said that already?)

And all of this has led me to today. The day I put my big-girl pants on. The day I finally thought, I will persevere... I will overcome... There are millions of bloggers out there, they can't possibly all be smarter than me!

(Ok, so, the fact that they probably all are is beside the point. My sheer stubbornness has been enough to compensate for my lack of smarts all my life! Thumbs up!)

So... What do I choose to write about on my first day back in the blogging groove...? It's gotta be something compelling! Something Riveting! 

Hmmm.....

I KNOW!

I'll write about...

Curtains!

Aren't you so glad you've stuck around? {wink}

Well, in between the stressful and panicky moments of wondering how I will ever blog again, I've been keeping busy with a decorating project!

Micah's son, Caleb, has moved out of state to begin his college adventures, so we decided to turn his old room into a guest bedroom. I can't include everything I want to show you about this room in just one post, so today I will just be writing about the curtains I made for the room. 

Here's a peek:


Just to give you a little vantage point as to the work Micah and I have done in here, this was the room only a couple of weeks ago:


I could have closed the door and left well-enough alone. This room wasn't hurting anybody. But I have a disease. It's a serious condition called Decorating Compulsive Disorder. Experts agree that the only cure is for loved ones to back off and let the individual take out their decorating frustrations on the room they have targeted. 

For example, when I franticly approach Micah with pleas to help me move a heavy dresser, or hang some curtain rods, he just quietly shows up with tools.

See?



So, a little background on these curtains. I guess I should have said I semi-made them. They were originally made by my mother-in-law when Micah and I were first married. A brief photo-walk down memory lane shows the curtains in my very first little kitchen as a new wife:


My Roman, who will be eight this fall, was just a baby then...


When we moved into the house we're in now, I didn't have a good place for them, so I tucked them into storage where they've lived this whole time.

For this guest room project, I really tried to make use of items I already had. So, I decided to get these old curtains out and give them a try. I realized that they were going to be perfect for the look I was after. I wanted the guest room to feel warm and inviting, like a quaint Bed and Breakfast. But I only had two panels. This was going to require a little sewing project...

The morning I got to work on them was gloomy and rainy. The best conditions for a sewing project:


Roman offered to make breakfast for everyone so that I could get to work on it right away:


Thanks, buddy!

I got set up with everything I needed... My sewing machine and coffee...


Matching thread and my adorable thread carrier...


The "Hymns" station on my Pandora, and cute company:


What a wonderful way to spend a dreary morning!

The first thing that I did was lay one panel out to determine the center:


I cut it in half lengthwise, to make two panels for each window. I hung them before I did any sewing,  trying them out first to make sure it would be what I wanted:



I really liked it!!!

Yes! This was the direction I wanted to take this room.

So, my next step was to iron in my seam:


After sewing up the edge I repeated the process with the other window panel, and hung them excitedly!

Do you want to see the end result?

Of course you do!!!


Well, if you've stuck around for this entire post and have made it to here and now, I think you deserve it!

But don't let it spoil your appetite for my next few posts about this guest room!

Here she is:


~~~ I'm in Love! ~~~

Being creative with what I already had is how I accomplished my "Bed and Breakfast" inspired guest room. I've spent very little money on this room. But more about that in posts to come!

So... Are you glad I'm back, girlfriends? I am So happy to be blogging again! I have missed you!

I'd love to hear from you in the comments below! Feel free to say hi! (But please don't tell me that Decorating Compulsive Disorder is not a thing! Just ask Micah!)

;)

I'll be back here soon...

xo,

~ Courtney

8 comments:

  1. Yep, pretty sure I have DCD. Glad you are able to blog again. Also, great way to reuse your pretty curtains in the B&B room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love figuring out new uses for things! Thanks for reading and for your comments!

      Delete
  2. I've been checking for a new post! So glad you're back!! :-). The room looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny! Thanks for these beautiful glimpses into your home and your life. I always look forward to your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Natalie! I always love hearing from you!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!