"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Girls' Bedroom

Hello friends!

It's been a really long time since I've done a room makeover post!

It's time for me to take you into the room that my daughters share.

I've been wanting to show you their bedroom for months, and I'm finally now getting around to it!

Come on in...


This is what this room has looked like for a while now, but as many of you know, we bought this house as a fixer-upper, and have renovated many of its rooms over the years.



When we moved in, (in the summer of 2009) the room looked like this: 


Almost every room in our farmhouse had wallpaper and a ceiling fan.


Sometime around 2010, we got to work in here:


We painted the walls "Cool Sky" (a very pale grayish-blue) and installed a chandelier:


Being married to a handy-man has been such an amazing blessing!

We've hired out very few projects over the years!


Our first intention with this room was to have it be our bedroom. 

I decorated it with whites, blues, and cherry reds, in sort-of a farmhouse feel. And we enjoyed it as our "Master Bedroom" for several years.


But when our second daughter was an infant, we decided to give the girls' this room to share.

So, about two years ago, we moved them in here and converted it to a sweet, little girls' room.

This may not be what everybody likes, but to me it's adorable!


In my childhood bedroom, my bed was in front of the window. I can remember really enjoying that, and watching out my window from my warm bed as I drifted off to sleep.

I wanted to recreate that for my daughters, so each of their beds are positioned in front of the rooms' windows:




Being from the city, I would watch the cars slowly pass on the street beneath my window, or maybe the neighbors turning their lamp lights off as the night grew later...

But now being out in the country, I suppose my children will watch the deer scamper across the fields, and the pink sunsets instead.


Their bedroom has a mix of old and new...


Handmade and store-bought...



And items from my childhood bedroom...



Some of my favorite elements in this room are the dollhouse that my grandpa built for me, and the branch with paper birds that hangs in the corner:


This was a project Micah and I worked on when Nola was a baby for her old room. I loved it so much that I had it moved and re-hung. 

It is a dead branch from our yard. The birds are made from card stock and antique sheet music that I hand-cut, then hung from the branch using white thread.  (I used a hole-punch to make their eyes.)


Here are a few other details of the room...




When my grandmother found out that we were naming our first daughter "Nola", she said, "I think there's a piano song titled 'Nola'!" She found the sheet music on eBay for us, and I framed it:


It hangs next to Nola's bed:


Of course there is so much more I could talk about when it comes to this room, but I don't want to bore you! Please know you can leave any questions you might have in the comments and I will respond!

This was such a fun room for me to decorate because where else in my home can I decorate like this?! Having girls is so much fun! But also because it reminds me of my childhood bedroom. My room had pale pink carpet and bright white walls; an antique wrought iron bed and a beautiful floral bedspread. Even into my teen years when all my friends were hanging posters up on their walls, my walls had framed, antique pictures. I guess I've just always loved living in beautiful rooms! I hope my children feel the same way!



Thanks for letting me show you around!

I hope you enjoyed the tour.

Until next time...

xo,

~Courtney~


















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!