"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Being Bored At Home

Hello again, friends!

It's always wonderful to sit down at my computer to chat with you!

I spend my days flying around like a headless chicken!... Mopping floors, doing laundry, and driving kids to and from the park, the pool, and other activities. So, when nap time arrives, or the kids have finally been tucked in their beds for the night, it feels luxurious to me to be able to sit and rest and type out what's been on my mind!


Lately I've been thinking about the topic of being bored at home.

This comes up from time to time in 'Mom World', from both parties - The stay-at-home moms, AND the working moms. So today I would like to address it.

I have personally heard women who are new to the stay-at-home life complain of boredom...

Maybe they were raised by working mothers so they don't know what to do. And they don't know what homelife should look like, since they weren't given an example growing up.

Or maybe they just left their careers to stay home and they are bored because they are transitioning to life at home and just trying to adjust.

As for the working moms, I've heard it from them, too. They will say things like, "I don't know how you stay home and keep your sanity. I've got to work or else I'd be So bored!"

Or they will say to me, "You better keep your cosmetology license renewed through the years so that when your children are grown you can go back to work and have something to do."

And on and on it goes...

Well, first of all I'd like to say this ~ The Lord has given us His Word to address all topics of life. From the bible we can learn exactly what God wants from His people. His Word and His ways are perfect for us.

"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

If you have chosen to be home, or would like to leave your career to be home, please! please! please! don't listen to women who tell you it will be boring!

God's Word says that we younger women ought to be, "... Self-controlled, pure, busy at home, kind, and subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the Word of God." Titus 2:5 (Emphasis mine.)

So you see, it is not God's plan for us to be bored at home!


When I was pregnant with Elsa, I began writing letters to her in a journal. I know I've mentioned it on this blog before. It's an eclectic assortment of family history, stories, and motherly advice. I plan to give it to her when she's an adult.

When preparing for this blog post, I remembered an entry I had made in the journal about this very topic. 

I'd like to record it here, for you to read...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Elsa,

I live in the day of homemakers being looked down upon. People think we're chained to our ovens, living dreadfully boring lives. The common question- with a smirk- is always, "What do you do all day?" 

Today is Thursday, November 5, 2015. It is 7:00 at night. This is what I did today...

- Made my bed, got dressed, did hair and makeup.
- Cooked a hot breakfast, and made a spinach smoothie for myself and my children for breakfast.
- Changed diapers on the little kids and got them dressed.
- Tended to 'Max' (our special needs kitty who's healing from surgery) cleaned out his box, gave him breakfast and love.
- Swept the staircase and foyer.
- Watered the plants.
- Monitored the big kids during their 'Morning Routine' and chores.
- Drove kids to piano lessons.
- Made fish for lunch, with fresh salad and tomato on the side.
- Put a meatloaf in the crockpot and prepped the potatoes for supper.
- Worked with Roman on his school worksheets.
- Administered one spanking, two rebukes, and broke up about six or seven sibling fights.
- Three loads of laundry, to completion, folded and put away.
- Two dishwasher loads. Clean dishes were put away after each load.
- Received a visit from Grandma.

She stayed with the kids and I...

- Took Nola to dance class.
- Stopped by Target for some Christmas shopping.
- Purchased Roman's birthday present and card.
- Got gas.

- Set the table for supper.
- Had a nice family meal.
- Gave you a bath.

This is a brief summary of what today looked like. My day is still not over, but it is winding down. I usually go to bed around 11:00pm and set my alarm to get up in the mornings at 6:45. 

There is no opportunity for boredom.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


Yes, friends, it is important to stay busy at home.

You may be reading this and thinking, "Yeah, she only feels that way because she's a homeschool mom. My kids are in school full-time."

Well, I have given some thought over the past couple of years as to what my days would look like if my children went to school... And I still don't think I'd be bored. 

If my children were in school full-time I think I would...

- Hone my cooking skills.
(I would love to become a better cook!)
- Plant a vegetable garden.
- Do a lot more with my flower beds.
- Work on keeping my home far more clean and tidy than what I am able to right now.
- Reach out to neighbors.
- Minister to and encourage young, new moms.
- Plan and host dinner parties more often.

etc, etc...


Recently I was reading in 1 Timothy, and was encouraged to read about how God wants women to spend their days...

(You have to know a little background though, first, in order for it to make sense....)

 Advice was being given to the church about how to care for widows. For a woman to be put on the list of widows that the church was to care for, she had to meet several requirements...

She should be, "Well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the saints, helping those in trouble, and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds." 1 Timothy 5:10

Sounds like a busy life at home, to me!

When I read this the other day I realized that my time for doing these things is NOW! And I began to feel convicted.

"Would I qualify for such a list at the end of my life?" I wondered... "I don't think I'm good enough... I don't think I'd make the cut..."

Suddenly I felt inadequate.

I prayed the Lord would help me do well in these things, then went on with my life...

Well, today I brought Elsa in from playing outside and washed her hands in the bathroom sink, then I stuck her feet in the sink to wash them, too. This is a dull 'mom duty' that I've been doing methodically for years. Never thought it mattered in the big picture of life.

But today when I was washing her feet in the sink I heard the Lord speak to my heart, saying, "You are washing feet. See? You ARE doing these things."

And I was encouraged!


What about you, friends? Are you home full-time and bored? 

(I know this exists because women have told me!)

Just roll up your sleeves and get to work!

"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."
Proverbs 31:17

Work hard at home training your children and keeping your home clean and tidy, and not only will you not be bored, you will be doing kingdom work!

We can do it, friends!

"She watches over the affairs of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness."
 Proverbs 31:27

And at the end of our lives we'll be glad we did!

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her."
Proverbs 31:28


xo,

~ Courtney ~



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!