"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Cat Who Came To Stay

We were given a new cat last week...


Her name is Larette.

Isn't she pretty?

~ Sweet baby ~

We agreed to take her in, but didn't know her personality or if she'd like us.

The situation just sort of fell into our laps.

We were told she'd make a good barn cat for us.

I decided to keep her in the house for a day or two first to allow her to adjust, get to know us, and learn our smell.

She made herself right at home...

~ Queen of the kitchen ~

By the end of the first day she was playing with my kids, jumping into my lap, and 'claiming' us as hers- you know, when cats rub their cheeks on furniture and people? I think that means they are saying, "This is mine."

I find that to be very endearing.

She seemed to favor this particular chair for napping...


After several hours of having Larette with us, I realized that she looked a lot like a cat from one of my old books.

(You all know how I feel about old books, don't you?! *wink)

I dug through the bookshelves and found it, and brought it down to show my kids.

When they saw it they all said, "Hey! It's a book about Larette!"

The book was mine from my childhood titled, The Cat Who Came To Stay...


This is the inside cover...


It's got beautiful watercolor illustrations that are colorful and charming...


and a pleasure to page through...


The story's about a black and white cat who just showed up one day in a young girl's garden. 

The girl named her Dancer.

She liked Dancer and Dancer liked her, but there was one problem...

The home was already owned by a grey cat named Solomon.

He looks like he's Boss, too!


The kids and I couldn't believe the similarities!!!

WE have a grey cat! He's been our barn cat for a few years. His name is Oliver, and he's a boss!

I was worried how the two would get along.

Larette would sit here and study him through the window...


Oliver would guard the back door and stare in at her.

My mother said it was like a prisoner/visitor situation, haha!

We couldn't tell who was the prisoner. 

I said we'd have to ask the cats! Haha...

Well, by day three we were ready to let Larette explore the outdoors.

The kids showed her around.

We keep cat food and warm cat beds in our out-buildings. 

We wanted to make sure she was introduced to those.

So far she has stayed around!

Every morning she hops up on this window sill to say hello to us...


Lately it's been mild enough outside that the children can go out to play with her and pet her.

She's a very social cat, and loves attention.


The end of Dancer's story is that it took some time, but Solomon eventually warmed up to her and accepted her...


I truly hope that will be Larette's story as well!

And that she will be 

The Cat Who Came To Stay.

xo,


~ Courtney ~ 



I love receiving your comments! They make blogging so much more fun! Thank you for taking the time to stop here and read! 





2 comments:

  1. Not really a cat person, but she's definitely a beaute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of people I know aren't. Some of our close friends and family are even down right allergic! Which is one of the main reasons we keep our cats outside. I don't want people to be miserable while they're here! Thanks for reading and commenting!😊

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!