"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Autumn Decor

For my birthday this year, my mother gave me a subscription to my favorite magazine - Victoria. 

It's my favorite because the homes featured in Victoria are always the most beautiful that I've seen!


Rich, elegant, and warm are the best words I can think of to describe the photographs within a Victoria's glossy pages.

They pull me in and I study each vignette, asking myself questions like, Now look how they paired that Japanese print along side a French toile - how'd they do that?

This month's edition arrived and I was unprepared for the inspiration that would strike me.

Up to that point I had felt unmotivated to begin any fall decorating, but a few minutes with my new issue gave me the fresh ideas I had been lacking.

I noticed a theme - blue and white dishes with red roses.

See? Here's an example...

(Page 38 of this month's issue...)

I felt a surge of hope because I realized this look was very attainable for me.

 I already had some blue and white pieces in my china cabinet, and faux roses in my Christmas decor bins. 

Although I had never before used them for fall, I thought, If Victoria can decorate with roses for the autumn months, than it's good enough for me!

So I set to work...


I pulled my fluffy fur pillow out of storage, and tucked a few red roses in here and there...


My living room hutch is mostly colorless - just English Ironstone and antique books, but I'm enjoying having a little red in it now. Not much, because too much would spoil it, like pouring too much salt on your dinner. 


 Just a pinch of red on the mantle... a little here... 


and a little there...


I continued my Victoria-inspired look into the dining room...

A blue an white pitcher holds some clippings from my yard along with the faux roses. Not all of them are red, however. That helps to round out the arrangement, and deepen the look...


I have no idea if that's an actual decorating rule. I can tend to make things up, haha!

 The blue and white with roses is continued into the kitchen...


Here's the view from another angle...


(I love sunbeams in a house! It's so warm and welcoming!)

The only autumn decorating I've done in our family room is place a few pumpkins on the mantle. 


But I do have a little blue and white in here as well.


Yes, that's Lawrence Welk on the T.V. haha...


Sometimes I turn it on and put the volume up to fill my house with the happy, old-fashioned music.

I like to pretend that I don't really live in 2018.

 I don't belong in this modern world, sigh...

I can't handle what our world is becoming. I remember life before things like technology and school shootings...

Were things not better then?!

But that's why I try to make my home a lovely and warm place.

Sort of like a cocoon from the world.


I have to get out in it at times, but I enjoy coming back here to an environment that embraces me with a feeling of home...


Isn't that why we decorate after all?

I enjoyed doing something different for my fall decorating this year.


I prefer an uncontrived look in my home anyway, so I don't mind that it isn't modern or forced. 
(Think large "It's Fall Ya'll!" signs from Hobby Lobby.)

Remember, the best authors don't tell their readers what they wish to convey, rather they show it instead.

To me, the best decorated homes have a way of showing warmth and love without all the fashionable hype.


I have no clue what outsiders think of my home when they enter here, but to my eyes it's warm and beautiful.

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see."
- Henry David Thoreau

How's your fall decorating going?


xo,


~ Courtney ~















6 comments:

  1. I think it's absolutely lovely, Courtney. I love that you are watching Lawrence Welk! I watched him growing up, and danced with Arthur Duncan! Your home looks so warm and comforting. You have created a safe space for you and your family. I feel the same way about these times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I’m glad I’m not the only one! Everyone walks around with their heads buried in their devises like this is normal. Haha! You danced with Arthur Duncan?! The dancing acts on LW are my favorite, and he’s so fun to watch! I make sure to tell my kids, “You have no idea how hard tap dancing is! This is to be admired!” Haha! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I feel more warm, safe and comforted just looking at the pictures you share. I am surprised even you need inspiration!?! But it sure didn't take much and you're right back at it... inspiring others with your words, care and ideas!! Thank YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to me, Lori! Thank you! Yes, fall decor can be hard for me because so much of it is cutesy and commercialized. So I always welcome a burst of inspiration or fresh idea this time of year.

      Delete
  3. I like how all the rooms in your home look like they belong together. Neutral with pops of blue (and roses). I was thinking just the other day how sad it was to see my rose bush with only a couple final blooming buds. What a great idea to bring roses inside for fall. Beautiful, warm and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sadie! That was one of my goals for my home actually- to have it all “flow” easily from one room to the next. Yeah, if your rose bush is still blooming, a snip or two on your table would be lovely! I still have a few blooms on mine too, but they’re hot pink. Haha! Not a good color for fall. Good to hear from you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!