"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Staying When it's Hard

Some people have a niche.

A thing they identify with.

A thing that's their gig... or their jam, as the kids say.

The older I get and the more I experience life, the more I realize that I stay in hard things.

I haven't figured out if that's good or bad.

I just stay in hard things.

Even when it hurts me, I'll stay in it.

Even when it no longer makes sense, I'll stay in it.

Even when the people around me urge me to make a change and move on, I'll still stay in it.


There have been times over the years when I've wondered if I was doing the right thing.

So I would search out a truth-telling friend to give me some reassurance.

The problem is, we live in a culture that is saturated with selfish messages.

So often I was given feedback like,

Do what makes you happy...

Pursue your dreams...

You deserve better...

Cut off negative and toxic people from your life...

etc..

All of that sounds good, but there's a problem with it.

It is a "me-centered" attitude.

I suppose if one's highest ambition in life is happiness, then this would be good advice.

But once a person becomes a Christian, they are no longer living for themselves.

Each Christian is plucked out, set on a higher plane, and given Kingdom work to do.

They are noble assignments meant for the edification of other believers, and for the glory of God.

Once I had a handle of that concept, I was able to get my eyes off myself and see the bigger picture.

(This is probably the reason why I stay in hard things. I guess I assume that wherever I am is exactly where God wants me to be.)

So.... since a truth-telling friend has been difficult for me to find, I will preach to myself...

I will give myself the encouragement that I need.

Here it goes...

....................................

I am in a hard situation right now.

I hate it.

It is burdening my heart.

It is haunting my thoughts.

The worst part? I can do nothing about any of it!

Decisions are being made that are out of my control.

And I just sit by silently, watching it all unravel.

Sure, I could jump ship.

That option is always there.

Somebody actually just asked Micah and I when we are going to move on from this situation that has been so hard on us.

That seems to be the solution most people settle on.

Once something no longer pleases us, meets our needs, or makes us happy, we should move on from it, right?

I am sure there are cases where that is totally appropriate.

However, it has seemed to me that that has not been God's will for my life.

I've been through hard things before, and I've watched the Lord work in it and get me through it.

"The Lord stood at my side and strengthened me."
- 2 Tim. 4:17

 I learned that though jumping ship may offer me initial relief, I would forfeit these blessings:

~ A chance to mature and grow, and to rely on the Lord's strength.

~ A chance to deepen my understanding of the people involved and hopefully bond with them in a richer way.

~ And finally, a chance to watch God redeem it!


It still doesn't make it fun in the meantime.

And it still doesn't mean that I haven't pleaded with the Lord for a way out.

I have buried my face in my hands to sob more than once, and each time the Holy Spirit has ministered to my heart the same words...

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
- 2 Cor. 12:9

My heart would cry,"But God, this feels like a curse! This feels like you've taken your hand off us! Have I sinned? Have I done something wrong that I should be experiencing this with no relief in sight?" 

During the time I was battling this, God sent someone to me who said, "Maybe God is testing you. Maybe He wants to see if you'll remain faithful."

???

That makes me think of another blessing I would forfeit if I jumped ship - The chance to set an example of faithfulness for others, and hopefully leave a legacy of faithfulness for my children.

I want them to see what happens when you choose to commit to something and see it through to the very end, even when it gets hard along the way.

I want them to see that you can stay in hard things!

Just because something's hard doesn't mean it's bad for you and you shouldn't do it.

Anything that's worth doing will come with its set of challenges and even heartbreaks.

Just stay in it!

Watch what God will do!

"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!"
John 16:33


This is what I'm preaching to myself, and I'm sticking to it!

"Sometimes I need only to stand wherever I am to be blessed."
- Mary Oliver


xo,


~ Courtney ~





4 comments:

  1. ::Recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one. Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. For, “Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.” But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls::

    ::We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead::

    ::Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God::

    Keep running the race, Courtney. You are loved and prayed for.
    <3, your fellow harvester <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda. That was a lot for you to type out! ☺️ I appreciate you taking the time to comfort me with scripture. 💗

      Delete
  2. Nawww copy and paste �� but the ❤ is the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so that’s how the younger generation does it! 😉 I am so old-fashioned. 😜 What translation is this?

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!