"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Teaching a Happy Heart-Attitude

I've made an observation.

ALL kids have minds of their own and want their own way.

Some are stronger-willed than others, but they will all try, at one point or another, to "buck the system."

I've made another observation.

What never would have been tolerated in generations past, is now being encouraged, or ignored at best.

I'm talking about a rebellious, stubborn spirit in a child.

"Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child..."
- Proverbs 22:15

Contrary to popular modern-day opinion, children are not wise and do not know what's best.

It is our job as parents to train and correct them.

"Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction drives it far from him."
- Proverbs 22:15

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."
- Proverbs 22:6


I've said to my children more times than I could possibly count, "I am your mother. I know what is right and best. I expect obedience with a happy heart-attitude."

When my children were babies and toddlers I was militant in training them to obey me.

I never allowed them to say "no" to me.

I considered that a serious offense!

It can seem cute when a little child shouts "no" to his mother, and it's very tempting to think it is harmless at such a young age.

But what a child is at two, he will be at fifteen, if his faults are not corrected.

My baby and toddler years are now over, and I am so glad I taught my children to obey me with a happy heart-attitude!


It certainly is a lot of hard, frustrating work when they're young, but the Lord rewards those who diligently do what is right.

"Discipline your son, and he will give you rest; he will bring delight to your soul."
Proverbs 29:17

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
- Galatians 6:9

So, if you are a young mother reading this, I would encourage you... do not be afraid to go against the grain of today's culture. 

You do not have to live a defeated life in this area.

YOU are the mother!

What you say, goes!

This is good and healthy, and makes for a very peaceful home.

Expect your children to respond to you respectfully. And administer a consequence when they don't.

I would get down on my child's level, eye to eye, and firmly say, "Your response shows me that you do not have the right heart-attitude. I want you to have a happy heart! I expect that you obey me with a happy heart-attitude!"

Sometimes their emotions are so out of control that swift discipline may need to be applied. Or they may need to be sent to their room to cool down.

Other times they quickly shape up and I can see a change of heart immediately. When that's the case, I simply allow them a do-over. I repeat the instruction and when they reply agreeably, I smile at them and remind them that this is what I expect every time!

Homelife should be peaceful and pleasant, but chaos reigns when parents have no control.

Let's take back our God-given place, mamas!

We can do it!

"The beauty and power of home life is hard to overestimate. Godly women are called to take responsibility for this realm. In doing so, they build homes with an investment in labor and love for beauty and stability that would make a home a center of the ministry of the church; a source of peace for all who enter there."
- Lori Alexander



I hope I have encouraged you today!


xo,


 ~ Courtney ~


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!