"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Ladies Brunch

 I was so blessed this weekend with a lovely gathering in my home.


This past winter I hosted a brunch for the homeschool moms in our church, and it was such a hit that I promised the ladies I'd do it again.

It is so fun for me to set my table, plan a menu, and excitedly await for my friends to arrive.

This time we were bubbling over and extra talkative because months of quarantine had made us miss each other!

I never plan a strict agenda or speech. No one likes to be lectured at, anyway.

Instead, I wish to have a relaxed dialogue where everyone is encouraged and comfortable to share.

We are a close group and get along very well, so there's never any awkward moments.

We talk, laugh, ask each other questions, and pray together.


(The cinnamon rolls hadn't made it out of the oven yet when I snapped this picture.)

It's a special thing to be a part of a church family. But it is all too tempting to succumb to the feeling that you don't fit in.

I've watched this happen many times through the years.

Someone will come to church thinking they'll find a mentor, a program, a class, or a kindred spirit to meet their needs.

Once they realize this doesn't exist, they assume they're in the wrong church and leave.

They didn't find that church was of any use to them, but they somehow failed to consider that maybe they could be of some use to the church!

Don't leave.

Maybe you can be the example and friend you were searching for.

For example, several years ago a woman left our church because she couldn't find the support she needed for her particular life circumstance.

But it makes me wonder... Could she have created the support she claimed our church lacked?

Could she have searched out others in her situation and started a Bible study out of her home?


When I began to feel isolated in my homeschool journey, and wished I had a support network, I sat down with our church directory and sought out all the homeschool families.

I made a list.

I purchased invitations.

I set a date.

I opened my home.

And the response was magnificent!

The seats around my table were full.

And when my friends left, my heart was full.

I no longer felt isolated.

It was so encouraging that we all felt it was necessary to keep our little gatherings going.

So it was such a delight to meet again this weekend.


As always, when I wish to be a blessing to others, they all bless me, instead.

"Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered." - Proverbs 11:25

I am already looking forward to the next one.


xo,


~ Courtney ~

2 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful. I have met some really fun people at the country club. We can socially distance, but still chat and socialize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s wonderful! I’m happy for you. Thanks for the comment. 😊

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!