"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day

 Lately our days have been bright and clear, but very cold.

We are in the dead of winter.

Thank goodness for Valentine's Day to give us a lift!


It is our custom to browse through our old books to see if we can find a story or poem that relates to what we're experiencing.

Here's what we found...

I love how colorful it is!


"Good Morrow, 'tis Saint Valentine's Day,

All in the morning time,

And I a maid at your window,

To be your Valentine."

- William Shakespeare

πŸ’

We always wake up in the dark every Sunday morning to go to church.

During the week I like to sit here with my buddy and my coffee to read my Bible and watch the sunrise. But on Sundays there's some hustle and bustle to get out of the house on time.


This morning there were even a few hiccups in my otherwise smooth routine, and by the time I neared the end of my getting-ready, I was tempted to tell Micah and the kids to go on without me.

Can you believe it?! I didn't feel like going, just because of a few snags in my routine.

But once I was there, I was SO glad I went.

I am always happy to be there.

😊

(These sub-zero mornings make for very chilly car rides over to church. The trick is to start the car fifteen minutes in advance, and take a blanket along for your lap.)

It was a packed house in church this morning, and the energy could be felt. It cheered me right up in no time!

Those of us on stage (I sing with the Music Team) are supposed to be the ones to encourage the congregation in worship, but it never fails that once I get up there and see everyone's faces, they bless and encourage me instead!

I love my bird's eye view from the platform each week. When I see how everyone worships, it inspires me!

🎢

Now back at home we are settled in to enjoy our evening.

I am preparing for our traditional "Red Dinner"...


 We will open gifts and read our cards first, so that the table can be cleared to make room for the food!

I hope you are having a lovely Valentine's Day!

If not, here are some wonderful ideas for being your own Valentine, written by Susan Branch (an author and watercolorist I admire very much!)

She says to...

~ Feed the birds

~ Take long walks

~ Eat good food

~ Breathe fresh air

~ Wear something pretty

~ Read good books

~ Grow flowers

~ Redecorate

~ Nap with pets

~ Soak in the bathtub

~ Sing in the car

~ Paint your nails

~ Write in a diary

~ Show love

"Because the smallest of little things can make you feel like something is special about today."

- Susan Branch

πŸ’

I love this list, but I would not consider any of these things small or little.

When a few are done each day it can get you happily through the bleakest winter, while adding some dignity to your day.

If I could add to her list I would include, bake something sweet, set a nice table, wear jewelry and lipstick, chat with a friend...

What would you add?


"The greatest thing you'll ever learn 

Is how to love

And be loved in return."

🌹


Happy Valentine's Day, friends!

πŸ’


xo,


~ Courtney 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    It's been a while since I left a comment on your blog. It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful Valentine's Day. We had a similar day, with church and then lunch at a friend's home. I'm amazed at how much snow there is where you live! Here in California, spring is definitely on its way. As always, I enjoy visiting your blog and seeing how you make every day special for your family.

    Sincerely,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa! Thanks for the comment. It’s very good to hear from you! Yes, we are used to abundant snow and long, but beautiful, winters. I’m happy to hear you had such a nice Valentine’s Day. I pray you and your family are well. Thanks for reading. 😊

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!