"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Pillow Story And Thrift Store Finds

When I'm not homeschooling my children, or working on housework, I'm decorating my home!

It's one of my most favorite things to do!

I always feel like it's time well-spent!

No one can bring beauty into a home the way a woman can, and I'm the only woman in my home... So, I feel it's up to me!

I wasn't happy with the new pillows I recently purchased for my front living room. I shared the photos with you in my "Spring Decorating" post. 

I've since purchased new ones that I like much better!

They're blue ticking throw pillows...


Here's the story...

Last spring I wanted to find throw pillows that would lighten up this space for spring and summer. My first attempt was these buttercup yellow pillows...


I thought I would like the yellow against my navy blue curtains. But it never set well with me and I ended up returning them.

I learned a lesson through the yellow pillow attempt, and that was that a solid doesn't look the best against another solid. The plain white couch needed pattern.

So, this spring I went out again, this time in search of a summer-y patterned throw pillow.

I was thrilled to find these...


But even though the pillows themselves were very beautiful, I still didn't think it looked right.

I kept the tags on them and pondered it for about a week. 

I picked my mom's brain about it when she came to visit. She helped me confirm what the problem was. The pattern on the pillows was competing with the pattern on the curtains!

See what I mean?...


So the conclusion finally was drawn...

I needed a pillow with a pattern, but one that would still allow my beautiful curtains to be the star of the show!

As they say, the third time's the charm!

I ordered these from Etsy, and they're perfect...




I visited a friend last week, (who happens to have a gorgeous, magazine-worthy home) and she said something that struck me. In regards to making decorating decisions she said, "The key is to REPEAT!"

That very much comforted me because I realized the reason these pillows feel right 
in my front room is largely due to it being a repeat pattern in the room. You see, I've had blue ticking on this side chair all along...


So, it causes the throw pillows to look as if they belong here.

Why didn't I realize it sooner?

Here's how the chair relates to the couch and new pillows...


If you're a really observant person, you'll notice I have a different plant on the coffee table. My poor little Oxalis that I had in this spot was getting beaten down by the direct sunlight that comes streaming through this window. I had to move it to a dimmer location. It actually traded places with this tropical plant that has been longing for a warm, sunny spot!

So, here's what my front room looks like today...


To the left of my couch is an end table with this vignette...


When I'm out junking I almost always buy a book or two. 

My most recent trip resulted in the finding of this adorable Peter Pan book...


Isn't it perfect here?...


Do you enjoy sifting through thrift store junk in the hopes of finding a treasure?

After coming across Peter Pan and tucking him under my arm to shop some more, I stumbled upon this find...

Eight tiny, little hand-painted plates!


I felt very lucky to find these!

I've never seen plates so tiny before!


Maybe it's hard to tell from the photos just how tiny... To give you an idea, look at this snack I prepared for my kids soon after I brought them home...

The plain, white plates are teacup saucers!!!


I had no idea what these tiny plates were for, so I used them in random, creative ways for the first few days that I had them...


(I recently began drawing red hearts on our napkins to tell the kids that dinner was "Made with love.")


But then my Grandma informed me that their original use, years ago, was to provide butter for each place setting!

I thought that was such a brilliant idea!

Everyone getting their own little butter plate?... Of course! Why aren't we doing this anymore?

Well, I saw to it that we all had our own butter on these plates at our very next family dinner!

:) :) :)



What do you think? Do you have any other clever ideas for how I can use my tiny plates?

Please leave a comment!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thank you friends, for stopping by my blog today!

It means so much to me that you take the time to read what I write!

Until next time...

xo,

~ Courtney ~














No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!