"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Friday, August 31, 2018

Spiced Plum Bread

Several years back, Micah planted an orchard behind our house.


One does have to practice patience for a few years after planting a fruit tree.

But we have put in our time, and it is so satisfying to now have fresh fruit right out our back door!


Today the children and I were out on a nature walk, so we stopped by the orchard to pick out some plums.

We found enough to do some afternoon baking.

I remembered I had a recipe for spiced plum bread that I was in the mood to try.


Would you like the recipe?


It turned out really delicious! I think you'll like it.

The house was bright with afternoon sunlight, and cool from a nice breeze blowing in through my screens... All my 'work' was complete for the day, and I had a CD of piano solos playing throughout the house...


The perfect baking conditions.

"My kitchen is a lovely place,
any time of day.
Dishes dry on linen cloth,
a pink and red bouquet.
The floor is swept, the curtains crisp,
my apron's on the hook.
I fill the kettle at the sink
and give it one last look."
~ Susan Branch

Well, I wasn't filling a kettle at the sink, but I did feel just as cheerful about washing up the plums and getting started on my bread...


We had plum trees in the yard of my childhood home, and I remember those being purple.

I don't know why these are red.

They taste just like regular plums.

I noticed today when I was washing them that they are heart-shaped.


Isn't that precious!

I made sure to show Nola.

She gets a kick out of this sort of thing, too.

I like to measure all my ingredients out first before I begin mixing anything together.


I noticed the recipe didn't call for any butter!

It had me use a half of a cup of honey, instead.

I chopped my plums...


And then was ready to make the batter!

Always mix the wet ingredients first...


Then slowly incorporate the dry into the wet...


It looked like this before I folded in the nuts and plums...


I was worried the batter was too dry, so I didn't use the full cup of pecans.

(I've learned through years of making banana bread, that too many nuts can dry out the batter.)

I used my best judgment, and this was what I had leftover...


I poured the mixture evenly among two loaf pans, and placed them in the oven.


I had the thought while doing this, that children can sometimes be picky about chunks.

I wondered if pureeing the plums would be a good and more kid-friendly option.

I decided to take note of how my children responded to this batch.

I can always remember to try a puree with this recipe next time.

The loaves came out of the oven looking like this...


The house smelled absolutely divine!

(I think it was the cinnamon and cloves.)

I couldn't wait to try a piece!

But I let it cool for a few minutes and steeped some tea...


I made sure to try it warm, and covered in a good slab of butter...


By the time my tea was ready and I carried everything over to the table to sit down, the butter had completely melted into the bread...

~ Yum! ~


It's a dense but delicious and sweet bread...


I look forward to having it in the morning for our breakfast.

I think I'll make scrambled eggs to go with it!

We have a relaxing weekend ahead of us.

We plan to take the kids over to the lake for a hike on some favorite trails.

Then over to a tiny cafe that's also a candy shop for lunch.

(It's a family tradition of ours. After lunch we let the kids each pick out a small piece of candy to enjoy on the ride home.)

It is also a dear friends' birthday, so I plan to visit her.

I picked up a small gift that I will be sure to bring along.

But of course, a weekend wouldn't be wonderful without a heavy dose of time at home.

"There is nothing like staying home for true comfort."
~ Jane Austen 


Be sure to let me know if you try my spiced plum bread recipe!

And whatever you do this weekend, I hope it is lovely.


xo,


~ Courtney ~



6 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I've fallen behind in reading your blog. This sounds delish!! I just made banana bread and don't have plums, but the next time I do, this sounds like a yummy way to enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love getting comments! Thanks Lori! Other than this bread and plum crisp, I don’t know of any other way to use up the abundance of plums that grow in our orchard. Haha!

      Delete
    2. Plum Jelly or Jam?? But hey, if the dessert you already make and enjoy works, don't change a thing!!

      Delete
    3. Have you ever made jam? I’ve never tried it. Is it hard?

      Delete
  2. Hi Courtney, Your bread looks terrific. Stewed plums and plum jam are also delicious. I make a plum kuchen that is like a butter cake with plums. It's very popular. The recipe is on my blog if you want to try it. The kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I would like to try it! Thank you! I’ll look it up! There are always more plums in our yard than I know what to do with! Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!