"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, November 29, 2018

A 'Mary' Christmas

Somewhere between this past summer and early fall, the decision was made that I would host Thanksgiving this year, and my mother would host Christmas Eve. 

That is the reverse of what we've typically done in the past.

Having everyone over to my home this Thanksgiving was an absolute delight, and I am now faced with the realization that my work this holiday season (for hosting family events) is done!

I felt an initial sadness. 

(I have LOVED taking on the responsibility and honor of Christmas Eve.)

But that feeling soon morphed into inspiration...

Why not have a simple and relaxing Christmas?!

Ahhh...

Sounds wonderful to me!

My mother said, "Think of it as a year off!"

So, I did.

I announced to Micah and the children that I would only be doing about half of what I normally do for decorations, and we would only have one tree.

Nobody protested.

So I proceeded...


I put together a few festive touches...


But overall my home is pared down this year.


I've used red roses in my Christmas decor for many years now, and I've yet to grow tired of it.


To me, it's timeless and classic.


I like to tuck rose clusters into the tree...


And beside kitchen displays...


Fresh pine clippings from the yard are tucked into vignettes around the house as well...


As far back as I can remember, I have been the type of person who is emotionally effected by surroundings.

In my childhood I can remember the lighting, noise, and atmosphere of school as being distracting and unsettling for me.

My mother knew how to make home beautiful and peaceful, so I would look forward to getting off the bus and running to the back door where I knew I'd be embraced with a warm sense of home.

A beautiful environment matters to me.

I can work better, and think clearer.

So I wondered if I'd regret not having a front room tree this year as well as the other decorations that I've kept in the storage bins from previous years.

But so far I've really enjoyed the non-fussy simplicity!

It has given me room in my brain to enjoy this Christmas in a richer way.

It has also inspired me to keep my calendar simple this holiday season, too!

It requires no effort at all to mindlessly fill the days with appointments, errands, and social events - to jump in the car and be on the go.

But what does that give me?

Empty busyness.

I'm trying to be intentional about saying 'no' to unnecessary busyness that will not add anything meaningful to my life, so that I can say 'yes' to what is meaningful to me.

I'm hoping this purposeful effort will allow me to enjoy a Mary Christmas...

"As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" 

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed- or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

- Luke 10:38-42

Mary has chosen what is better...

Hmmm...

I can use that as my holiday filter!

When something comes up I can ask myself, Am I choosing what is better?

Will this (fill in the blank) allow me to be a blessing to my family and others, and focus on the true meaning of Christmas?

* * * * *

Yesterday my dishwasher broke.

I woke up this morning not too excited about the idea of spending the day hand-washing dishes.

Then one of my small children informed me they had wet the bed in the night.

Now I'm hand-washing dishes AND cleaning tinkle bedding.

Ugh!

But as I went about my work today with happy, healthy children around me, Christmas music playing in the background, and watching big, white snowflakes flutter around out the windows, I was filled with joy. 

Our day was wide open, and I had plenty of time.


Empty days on the calendar are a blessing!

I can serve my family and tend to my home without the stress of worldly pressures. 

And I can look forward to enjoying a very Mary Christmas!



xo,


~ Courtney ~


6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful reminder! I think your home still looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, thank you for this timely post! We also enjoy a pared down holiday season, which allows us to focus on keeping Christ in Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s wonderful! Thank you for your comment. I wish you a Mary Christmas!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful reminder to keep what's important a priority!! A Mary Christmas to you also!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!