"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Winter Getaway

Hello again, friends!

How has your New Year been so far?

I always look forward to getting through the holidays so that I can just relax and enjoy the winter months.

Winter can be a time for rest and for being home, but sometimes it's nice to get out for a change of scenery.

This past weekend we had the opportunity to do just that.

My parents took the kids for us, and we said goodbye to home sweet home for the night...


We were only away for a little over 24 hours, but it's always hard for me to leave my home.

It's like saying goodbye to a dear and loyal friend.

I look forward to the adventure and the memories we're about to make, but I also take care to prepare the house for our return. Sort of like looking forward to coming home before I ever even leave! 

I like to make beds, wipe counters, put fresh towels out, and have the laundry under control.

I am always glad when I have taken the time to do this.

Then coming home feels like a breath of fresh air!


Our little trip was really nice!

We visited a small town in Door County, Wisconsin, and stayed in a lovely hotel on the water.

Our room was beautiful and spacious, and we were so happy to be there!

I decided that comfort was going to be my top priority, (I hate being uncomfortable while traveling!) so I wore stretchy leggings and soft dresses on both days.

This was the view from our room right after arriving on Friday night, and what I wore...


Having a fireplace in your hotel room on an icy winter night is such a treat!


We felt very lucky!

This was the view and what I wore on Saturday morning...


Door County sure has a different feel in the winter.

A visit in the summer is costly, and the towns are booming with tourists, boaters, and campers.

It is peaceful here in January.

The marinas are empty, the water is grey ice, and the streets and sidewalks lack the hustle and bustle of the summer crowds.

But a lot of the restaurants and shops are still open!

Yippee!!!


We were there as part of a conference-type event through our church, but whenever we could break away for an hour or two, we did!

 We sat in warm, bacon-scented cafes sipping coffee, and chatting up our darling waiter who told us it was his first day on the job...

We meandered through antique shops leafing through 100-year old books, Micah eyeing the old clocks and tools, and I contemplating an English Ironstone purchase (even though I have all the ironstone one person could need).

We drove up and down the back streets, oohing and ahhing over houses like this!... 


(My aunt recently purchased an old Victorian that looks very similar to this. She painted it a cheerful combination of purple and blue! So I sent her this picture and said, "We found your house's sister!" haha!)

Basically, we did all the things a couple with four little kids can't ever really do!

We soaked it all up, and enjoyed every moment!

I don't like to view trips away from home as a chance to escape for awhile. Instead, I like to view them as a chance to gain a fresh perspective... to gather up some piece of inspiration or new knowledge that I can bring back with me to make my home life better than before.

So, it is my custom to always come home from a trip with a small memento to help me with that.

I found this book and knew it'd be perfect...


God and Home and Native Land.

Published in 1912.

I am looking forward to reading it to my children.

The epigraph on the very first page says this...

~ The comfort, hope and blessing assured in living the Christian life.
~The charm of home- the respect of Father and Mother- the joys of childhood and the means of making home the happy, love-inspiring place it should be.
~Valorous deeds and noble achievements that stimulate patriotism and admiration for our glorious country.

Isn't that lovely?!

It feels great to be home and to get to start a new week.

 I hope you have a great start to your week, friends!

I'll blog again soon...


xo,


~ Courtney ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!