"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Friday, January 25, 2019

God's Provision in Homeschooling

As promised, here is the follow-up to my last post on homeschooling.

I had made the comment that I've watched the Lord step into our homeschool to provide for a need.

I'd like to share one example of that in today's post.

(A winter arrangement on my dining room table...)

I'm sure it goes without saying that a homeschool mother is in constant prayer to the Lord, asking for direction and wisdom.

To forfeit all help and support from the education professionals is a realization that frequently finds me on my knees.

Am I messing these kids up? Are you sure you want me to do this? I ask the Lord... Will you please come and dwell here, and have full reign over our school day, and honor our efforts! I plead.


"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act."
- Psalm 37:5


(The view from my bedroom window. The temperature is -1 at the moment...)

Around two years ago a close friend was over for a visit.

We were sitting in my living room and the children were all clamoring to talk with her.

My friend has a degree in Speech Therapy, and has worked with children in the past, so when Nola began talking I whispered to my friend, "Hey, listen to her speech, and let me know what you think..."

I had noticed a pattern with Nola's "th" blends. They always seemed to come out sounding like "f's". I really just thought she'd outgrow it, so I never worked with her on it.

But my friend confirmed that yes, she cannot say "th".

"If you were to bring her to a Speech Therapist, she would be seen in a clinic," my friend said.

"But she's so young, won't she just outgrow it?" I asked.

"If you'd let me, I'd love to work with her," my friend offered. "I think it's something we can correct fairly quickly."


(Nola bringing apples in from the orchard this past summer...)

So, my friend came out to our house a handful of times that school year, and worked privately with Nola.

She made flashcards and games, and it became something Nola really enjoyed.

My friend made it so pleasant, that after a few visits Roman asked when it could be his turn! Haha!

She also made a few charts and lists for me so that I could work with Nola in strategic ways in-between her visits.


My friend encouraged me throughout that school year that Nola was making progress. And at the start of the following year offered to continue coming out.

I was so thankful for the help!

I felt as though God was using her to minister to our family.

By this past summer my friend assured me that Nola was doing well and speaking better!

Now you would never know there used to be a problem.

(Nola making sugar cookies this past Christmas..)

 I have always begun each school year with the prayer that God would expose any gaps in my children's education, and either empower me to fill them, or allow a resource into our lives to fill them.

When the resource (like my friend in this example) is brought into our lives, I want to make sure I humbly back off and let God work.

Because this homeschooling journey really isn't about me. It's about what's best for the children.

I don't believe God would place the call on a mother's life to homeschool, then turn His back and allow her to falter.

Struggle and question at times, sure. But not fail.

"The Lord stood at my side and gave me strength."
- 2 Timothy 4:17

"You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great."
-Psalm 18:35

"But He knows the way that I take, and when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold."
- Job 23:10

(Nola playing with her sister...)

I hope this has provided some encouragement for you, dear readers.

The Lord provides what He requires.

I know not everyone who stops by here homeschools, but to those who do...

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
- Galatians 6:9


xo,


~ Courtney ~

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful testimony and beautiful reminder! Thank you, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, thank you for this post! I really enjoyed reading about God's provision in homeschooling your children. It's very encouraging to me, as my daughter and I are about to embark on our homeschooling journey later this year!

    Blessings,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’ll love it, Alyssa. I have really enjoyed homeschooling my children. It is such a peaceful life! Thanks so much for your comments! It helps me know who’s reading.

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!