"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Valentine Decor

It has rained ice here lately, and every tree branch is covered in crystal...


"Arctic winds blow, and the pace of life seems to slow..."
~ Melissa Lester


When the sun shines down the trees look like they are lit up with millions of little lights!


Oh, we just have to get out there, kids! Rug up! Let's go...


"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
~ John Muir

Everything just shimmers and shines!


Even dressed like eskimos, the wind had a nasty bite to it, so we didn't last long.

But it was fun while it lasted.

(This is the type of gear one acquires when living in the north...)

"Winter... a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour."
~ John Boswell

Being homebound with the wind chill and the ice, has found us enjoying books and movies by the fire... baking pies and cookies... and losing entire afternoons to art projects like this...


I never do much with holiday decorating.

Just a few touches here and there is good enough for me.

The kids helped me make these Valentine banners.


I think they're cute...


We also hung one up in the front room window...


I prefer to only share the tidy photos, but this is a real-life blog.

Nola spent all morning up here playing with her stuffed animals.

When the air outside is this frigid, home becomes the place to dream... to create... to play... to just be.

It should feel this way all year round actually, but for some reason winter seems to be the time for home.

I've also put out my teeny tiny collection of antique Valentines...

(Not sure if a grand total of two constitutes a collection...)

Add to the banners and the antique cards a red-flowering plant, and this, friends, is the extent of my Valentine decorating...


I hope you're not disappointed, but you should know by now not to expect anything Pinterest-Worthy from me!

I just don't need what the trends like to tell me I need! 

I am most at home in an environment where I can surround myself in stacks and rows of books... wax candles lit in brass or crystal holders... the smell of a roast in the crockpot, or cake baking in the oven... children's laughter... antique paintings on the walls... a kitty sleeping in the corner... the table set with my grandmother's chipped and slightly faded dishes...

This is home to me.

"Keep good company, read good books, love good things and cultivate soul and body as faithfully as you can."
~ Louisa May Alcott

I hope you're enjoying your home this winter.


xo,


~ Courtney ~


2 comments:

  1. You never disappoint, with all your expressions of a simpler pace in life, sweet pictures, simple decorating, sayings from your old books and "let's remember what's really important" posts. Thanks for sharing your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments. It encourages me to keep writing! Hope you are doing well!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!