"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Monday, January 6, 2020

Four Years of Blogging

It has been exactly four years since I started this blog.

It was my New Year's goal for 2016.

So every January since I like to "go back to the drawing board," so to speak, and reevaluate my vision for this blog.

Why am I doing this? and Do I want to keep doing this? Are the questions I ask myself each year.


(A winter vignette on my mantle...)


I had several reasons for starting my blog four years ago...

~ I wanted a place to record family stories and pictures.

~ I wanted a place to document the renovation projects we've accomplished in our old farmhouse.

~ And I wanted a place to write my heart out.

I do not call myself a writer, but I've used this blog as a canvas to jot down ideas, to express my beliefs, and to maybe be a blessing to those who stop by to read.

Several years into my homemaking career, I noticed a pretty blatant trend sweeping through our culture. Women who were home were looked down upon - viewed as oppressed and uneducated. Our work at home was not considered valuable to society. 

So I decided my photos and writings on this blog would shed a positive light on homemaking.

I wanted to be part of the solution!

Why not go against the grain of the culture and try to give homemaking a good reputation?!

That became my vision.


(A winter table for family dinners...)


But I quickly encountered opposition.

I've learned that one cannot write or speak about being happy at home without receiving negative feedback.

I've been accused of being narrow-minded and judgmental. And I've been accused of forcing my opinions on people.

- How dare you write about homeliving and homeschooling. 
- Don't you know you're a nobody? 
- You have nothing valuable to say.
- No one's listening to you.

These are all comments and attitudes I've received.

But, I certainly don't view myself as a judgmental person.

And I've always known I'm a nobody.

I don't write precociously, I just write out of my own experiences.

So, I guess I don't really see that I've done anything wrong.

I've only ever written about positive and uplifting things, and have never used my blog to tear anybody down.

"When you begin to do Kingdom-building work, Satan will go after ya!" My Dad told me once.

Yes, I have definitely felt that.

But that's how you know you're on the right track. Satan leaves alone those who are no threat to him.

Mothers who have sacrificed everything to be home full-time with their children, and who tirelessly train them in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph. 6:4) are going to soon turn loose warriors of righteousness. So yes, Satan is paying attention.

So, do I want to keep doing this?

Do I want to keep opening myself up by continuing to write on this blog?

I recently read this by Nancy DeMoss-Wolgemuth...

"I promise you, what you have gleaned of God's nature and ways throughout the course of your life, however inadequate you may feel, is worth passing on to others, particularly to those following behind you. Wherever you've seen God prove Himself faithful, wherever His Word has sustained you in weakness and provided needed direction, and yes, even wherever you've experienced the consequences of failing to walk according to His Word- there's your story to share."

God gave me that encouragement and "green light" to go forward with blogging just at the right time.


~ This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm going to let it shine. ~


(A napkin love note from one of my children...)


Going forward, here's what you can expect from me on this blog in 2020...

I publish posts about twice a month. That is a good pace for me. 

This is a blog about home living, so you won't see any political rants or things of that nature.

I like to write and post pictures about decorating, family stories, recipes, homeschool ideas, etc...

And since my goal is to give homemaking a good reputation, you probably won't see posts of me complaining or of my house in chaotic disaray. Don't accuse me of being fake. I have bad days. I just choose to strive for the excellence I know is in me and celebrate that instead.

"God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will excel in every good work." - 2 Corinthians 9:8

As far as forcing my opinions on people... well, you had to make the decision yourself to click over here and read this, didn't you? *wink

I will not tailor this blog to my critics.

Read along only if you'd like.


xo,


~ Courtney ~



4 comments:

  1. Dear Courtney, I am so glad that you will continue to write. Your blog has been such an encouragement to me in the areas of homemaking and homeschooling! I am a fairly new homemaker, having left the paid workforce about 2 years ago. I, too, have had some snide comments directed toward me, especially about my decision to homeschool. I consider my home and family my mission field. No, I'm not doing things that are considered noteworthy, great, or commendable to the secular world. But it's interesting, isn't it, how a homemaker minding her own business and tending to her family somehow poses a threat to others. That's the way my experience has been, anyway. My own personal opinion is that Christian homemakers/homeschoolers equip themselves with spiritual armor every day. Staying close to home and schooling at home, we have the amazing opportunity to infuse Truth into every aspect of our lives, and this is threatening to Satan and to the status quo.

    "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." (Philippians 4, 8-9)

    Thank you, again, for being such a blessing and an encouragement. Happy New Year!

    Sincerely,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyssa, for this thoughtful comment, and for sharing this verse with me. It’s one of my favorites! I will keep you in my prayers as you raise your family for God’s glory. Thanks for reading! God bless!💗

      Delete
  2. You keep right on blogging, my friend. (Unless it takes away from your family) ;-)
    Pay no attention to your detractors—you are doing a good work and like you pointed out, a person chooses to read your blog-if they don’t like what you have to say they can stop reading. Keep up the good work both with your family and on your blog.
    -Nicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicki. Yes, I wish they would stop reading. I’ve had to block a few people. I’ve also deleted comments that are contradictory so others don’t have to see them. It’s all part of the territory I guess. 😊 Good to hear from you!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!