"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Monday, December 28, 2020

Winter Tables

Our Christmas was lovely. I hope yours was, too.

Micah and I host for my side of the family every Christmas Eve.

We enjoy it very much.

It felt easy this year.

I kept thinking I was forgetting something. But then it occurred to me...

I've "put on" Christmas Eve for my family every year for a decade.

I've got a system.

I know what works.

I suppose that's why the Bible says to, "Practice hospitality."

Practice gives you experience... experience gives you confidence!

(A quick picture was snapped of me as I was bustling around my kitchen.)

It is such a delight to set a pretty table that I want to make it more a part of my daily life this winter.

Sort of like a New Year's resolution.

Since becoming a wife and mother, I've discovered that winter can be a time for peace and rest, and a time for home.

(A page from the first grade Abeka science reader.)

So, why not settle into a nice long winter by setting tables that encourage a feeling of rest?

Stay and linger a while... I made dessert and tea... 

(A winter table from tonight's dinner.)

It sure helps that we've received our long-awaited snow!

Winter is drab and dull without snow.

And as you know, we like to search our bookshelves for some poem or story that relates to what we're experiencing.

This one will do... isn't it cute?

Sometimes I am asked about my tables.

I'm not sure what the mystery is, but I will touch on a few points about it in case someone reading may benefit...

I've purchased very little of my tableware. A lot of it has been handed down to me from relatives. But even if that were not the case, this is very attainable... I see beautiful china sets all the time at thrift stores for very little money.

Chargers and glassware can be purchased at the Dollar Tree.

Cloth napkins and place mats can be found at places like Hobby Lobby and HomeGoods.

It's fun to get creative at times... flat bed sheets make good table cloths for larger tables. Blanket scarves make good table cloths for smaller tables. And regular scarves make great table runners.

Even if you're limited in your tableware inventory but still want a rich, impressive look, the best thing you can do is a fresh flower arrangement as a centerpiece. They can be as little as five dollars for a small bouquet in grocery stores.

I like to think in terms of what's real when I set a table.

Real flowers, candles and glass will always be superior to plastic or battery operated options.

It's so easily achieved that I figure, why not?

It's inevitable, I always get the question, "Well, what about kids?" 

Even when my kids were babies and toddlers, I did it this way.

I always believed they could rise to my standard.

But for a larger event, it's nice to set a kid's table.

It's fun for the kids and it gives the adults room to visit.

(A Christmas Eve kid's table place setting.)

Yes, I think that setting more beautiful tables this winter will make a nice New Year's resolution for me.

Remember that a New Year's resolution doesn't always have to mean some huge upheaval in your life.

It can be something you're already doing, but you just want to strengthen the habit. You want to take it from good to excellent.

And speaking of New Year's resolutions, (I actually prefer to call them "winter goals") I'd like to work on developing deeper connections with the homeschool moms in my church. We always have such a nice time when we get together, and we get along so well, that I wish to prioritize those friendships this winter.

One of my ways of doing that includes setting a lovely table.

So, I will have plenty of table setting opportunities, I hope!

But more will have to be written about that at another time...

I hope you are pondering all your lovely winter goals.

I am looking forward to January, and a fresh, new year!


💐


~ Courtney ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!