"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Friday, August 5, 2022

Summer's Last Stand

 At times I am charmed by the thought of using my blog for any little inkling or insight that may sweep through me. To sit down at my computer during a quiet moment and just see what flows out... To play the fun game of, Can I make what's fuzzy in my head clear on the page?

Since we tend to be wholly in love with all the circumstances of this glorious summer, I get such inklings often.

This fleeting summer has had a glow all over it. But with autumn crouching at the door, it is soon losing its magical quality.

So I am naming August this year, Summer's Last Stand.

Against the superior odds of cooler temps looming, and ordered school curriculum arriving, we still swim down at our pond almost daily, without any thought or worry that it will all end soon.

Once we arrive, gone is the assault on our senses, the relentless invasion of our privacy, and we can just be in silence and enjoy.


We talk about giving the pond a proper name.

Woodland Swamp is being considered.

Or perhaps Woodland Cathedral. The cathedral part after a book we're reading. The main character, Freckles, carved out a reverent spot for himself in the Limberlost forest that he named, "Cathedral."

This is the same book that inspired me to be, "transacting affairs of importance with the flowers," if you remember.

To keep my home dressed for summer all season long, I really do transact affairs of importance with my flowers regularly!


It saddens me to see my favorites (tulips, lilacs, peonies, etc..) end for the year. But I do still have some blooms standing their ground!


Hibiscus...



English roses...



Phlox...



Lilies...



Clematis...


Black-eyed Susans...


 And Hydrangea...


I love routine.

Anything that is established, enduring, and unchangeable is a great comfort to me.

The perennials we have had on our property have provided that sort of comfort to me.

I can count on them year after year.

Living in the same place for so long has taught me the importance of possessing a sense of rootedness to a place. And for that I am thankful.


In the spirit of Summer's Last Stand, we have a fun little getaway planned that I hope to share pictures of soon.

In the meantime...

Here's to the final few weeks of summer.


💐


~ Courtney 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!