"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Crafting a Vision for a New School Year

 Lately I've been reading through the book of 1 Kings.

I've read through Old Testament books many times before, but because the Word of God is, "living, active, and sharper than a two-edged sword," a new insight revealed itself to me.

1 Kings 22:5-6 says, "... 'First seek the counsel of the Lord.' So the king of Israel brought together the prophets and asked them, 'Shall I go to war or shall I refrain?'"

This reminds me of when Roman was about to enter first grade. Up to that point I had been lightly and unofficially "homeschooling," and was feeling a little panicked at the thought of ordering my very first piece of actual, formal curriculum and homeschooling for real!

I told Micah I didn't know if I had what it takes to be a homeschool mom.

But I remember distinctly his reply.

He very wisely advised me to take it, "one year at a time."

I adopted that approach and have tried to keep that mindset ever since.

All throughout the Old Testament the kings would ask the Lord if they should go to war. They didn't assume because they were successful once that they should go to war every time. It was a case by case basis. In fact, there was one instance when Israel was defeated in a war because they did not, "inquire of the Lord."

For my family, every year is different. 

I pray I always remember to "seek the counsel of the Lord" for each approaching school year, and not plunge into homeschooling just because we've been successful before.

So this summer I have been in continual prayer over the upcoming year; cleaning out our school cupboard, organizing curriculum, asking the Lord for a burst of inspiration and His blessing.


It has been an amazing summer of rest and leisure, but a renewed motivation for our return to homeschool is slowly emerging within me.

My homeschool mama-friends are some of the wisest and most encouraging people I know. It seems they're always saying things I want to write down! Recently one of them was explaining to me a delightful sounding way to teach subjects like history and science that she called Book Feast. Images of having all my children cosily around me, sipping hot chocolate over opened books and comfortable conversation, immediately flooded my mind. 

Combine that with verses the Lord has given me to pray over our homeschool such as, "Teach them the right way to live." (1Kings 8:36)  And, "Now I will show you the most excellent way..." (1Cor. 13:1) and I am beginning to craft my vision for the 2022-23 year.

The homeschool lifestyle is mellow and unassuming.

I'm sure for someone who is used to the hustle and bustle of the work-world, it could be quite jarring.

The trick is to become self-governed, content, and settled; viewing being settled at home not as boring, but as a blessing from the Lord.

"I will settle them in their homes." (Hosea 11:11) "He settles the woman in her home as the happy mother of children." (Psalm 113:9)

Once I learned how to do everything for the promotion and well-being of my home, to make us happier and more comfortable, and to make the home more useful to us, I had the secret of contentment at home.

Now that I am finished with 1 kings, and reading through 2 Kings at the moment, I was reminded of the story of Naaman and his healing from leprosy.

I'm sure you've read the story as well. Remember when he got upset because Elisha had prescribed the very humble remedy of, "Wash and be cleansed"?

Naaman stormed off in a rage because it wasn't the elaborate, showy healing he was expecting.

But then his servant wisely pointed out, "If the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it?" (2 Kings 5:13)

Reading the story, I was struck. This is why I should be content at home. I don't need some grand assignment from the Lord in order to serve Him. If the Lord says, "be busy at home" (Titus 2) and, "watch over the affairs of your household," (Prov. 31) why be upset that it isn't a great thing?

If you have a home and a family, you have everything you need for a fulfilling life. 

If you have a home and a family, you have everything you need for a ministry.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your hands." (1 Thess. 4:11)

"That we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (1 Timothy 2:2)


So, I am happily looking forward to welcoming a new homeschool year. This is the humble assignment the Lord has given me and I am thankful for it.

"She is not a success as a Christian until she is a success as a mother." -Tim LaHaye

💐


Before I end this post I'd like to share the progress Micah has made on our half-bath...


It's coming along nicely and I'm getting excited about it!

We now have walls, a door, drywall, plumbing, a new window, and the floor has been ripped up.


It feels great to be in a project again!

😊

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.


~ Courtney 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!