"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Summer Days at Home

 Don't you love waking up to bright sunlight and birdsong in the summer?

May and June are my favorite months because summer is young and fresh. But even July mornings are magical because the day is young and fresh.

Plus, I just love a new start.

"His mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning." Lamentations 3:22-23

My first order of business is to pour a cup of coffee and sit down for my Bible reading.


It's a beauty secret, you know!

Moses' face was radiant because he had met with the Lord. I make sure I never miss this morning beauty regimen.

Breakfast is always leisurely, and then it's straight outdoors for several appointments...

One is to taste the morning. I need to experience the extent of the warmth and humidity before I can go on with my day. Then I say, good morning to the chickens, cats, and flowers while I make my rounds with my watering can.

Once my "chores" are done, I walk through the garden.


I feel as though gardens benefit from us walking through them.

I enjoy having little stone walking paths for the occasion.

In May and June I am an avid weed puller, full of enthusiasm and false hope. By July I settle into - wasn't I going for the wild country look? Yes, let's go with that!

My showy lilacs and peonies are done for the year, and the hydrangeas are not quite fully there yet. When I find myself in-between blooms I just take my clippers around and snip one of every little random thing I can find. 

Instead of the statement arrangements lilacs, peonies, and hydrangeas make, I cobble together a haphazard arrangement and it's somehow just as charming.


I love the instant beauty it gives as I sit down to write a grocery list.

With both the dishwasher and washing machine humming along, and the kids done with their morning routine and chores, we all leave for the store.

Over the holiday weekend I spent some time researching new recipes as well as book lists for the upcoming school year.

In my research I discovered two things I was able to apply today.

I learned that fresh basil is a natural anti-depressant. I didn't know that! I've never been a depressed person but everybody loves a mood-lifter! So I checked my grocery store for a basil plant and sure enough... this cute (and very fragrant) little guy made its way home with me.


The second discovery was that a book that piqued my interest on the book list was one we had in our home library but have never read.

I pulled it out, dusted it off, and began a new journey with the kids.

Opening a book you've never opened before and beholding the words Chapter One is such a thrill, isn't it?

It's like opening a secret gate that will usher you into an unknown world.


I tried a new recipe for dinner...


These sultry summer evenings inspire me to play Bluegrass in the background while I putter around the kitchen.

I made chicken with parmesan, zucchini and yellow squash, with of course a sprinkling of my new basil as a garnish. Baked potatoes with a green salad were the sides. 

I like to make up a topping platter when we have baked potatoes. It makes it easier to carry everything over to the table, and it's nice to have the toppings for our potatoes in one spot. 


This dinner was so filling and nutritious.


Once the kitchen was cleaned up we changed into our bathing suits and enjoyed a cool evening dip down at the pond.

Perfect for wearing out the kids right before bedtime.


We are soaking up this summer! I may not want it to end!

But as my summer day at home has come to an end, I am feeling fulfilled, revived, and so very grateful.


💐


~ Courtney 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!