"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Thankful

I'd love to make it a goal of mine to purposely open my eyes to what is around me, and choose to feel  thankful.

I have a lot of things that I can be thankful for, but sometimes I can overlook them.

It is a temptation for me to let the challenges of the day rule my thoughts instead.

Everything can be humming along smoothly and then the toddler has an accident and misses the potty and now I have a gross mess on my hands.

My first thought is always,

I hate my life :(

(See?! I need to get better at this! ;)

I forget in those moments that I have a safe and healthy toddler, the right cleaning supplies to sufficiently address the mess, and an able body to get the job done.


So....

What if I look at some of the wonderful things about my daily life, and say in my heart,

I'm so thankful!

?

Hmmm...

I think I'll try it....

~~~~~~~

I have this beautiful winter view out my window:


I really love winter and every year I find myself thinking, This is so wonderful, I never want it to end. But then spring comes and I think, This weather is magnificent! I'm so glad winter ended!

So, I've decided that it is possible to enjoy the current season and look forward to the next, at the same time!

I am thankful that I live in a place where we are blessed with all four seasons!

So today I enjoy this snowy sight out my window, soaking in all the wonderfulness of this season, while knowing that in only two short months my front yard will look like this:

             

Yes! This is something to feel thankful for!

~~~~~~~

I have provisions for my family:




            

I made a realization a few years ago. It dawned on me for the first time in my life that I've never known hunger. It's a common blessing to take for granted, but what a huge thing to be thankful for! 

My fridge is regularly stocked with milk, fruit, meat, juice, and eggs... and once we've eaten all of it, I get into my car, drive to the store, and buy more!

Yes! This is something to feel thankful for!

~~~~~~~

I have two healthy, active boys:

          

These are my boys. Roman Micah and Soren Jack. They are seven and three. 

Roman is unique and tender-hearted. He wants to be a scientist. He is crazy smart. 

Soren is strong, and brave. He loves to run. He is crazy tough.

They are both good boys with good hearts.

Yes! This is something feel thankful for!

~~~~~~~

I have two healthy, sweet girls:

         

These are my girls. Nola Josette and Elsa Leigh. They are five and one.

Nola is a very good big sister. She is reading to Elsa in this picture. She also mentions to me regularly that she wants to have a beautiful heart.

Elsa loves to be funny. She'll do just about anything to get a laugh out of us. Some of the things she tries really is super funny!

Yes! This is something to feel thankful for!

~~~~~~~

I have a cozy home:

           

Our home is warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and always comfortable. 


          

It may not be everyone's style, and you'll probably never see my home in any magazines, but to my eyes it's beautiful.




It's a safe and happy place to be.

               

I really love my home.

Yes! This is something to feel thankful for!

~~~~~~~

I have a handy husband who takes down light fixtures, (that I just had him install a few years prior):

             

...and switches them out for crystal chandeliers:



            

This is actually a very big deal because he hates crystal chandeliers! Yet, he has installed every crystal chandelier I have ever brought into this house!

Yes! This is something to feel thankful for!

~~~~~~~

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess. 5:18

~~~~~

So.... How do you think I'm doing with my goal to feel thankful? Am I getting there? I'm trying! And I want to get better! 

Please tell me... What are you thankful for? 

We can keep this list going!

What small thing (or big thing) in your daily home life can you look to and say in your heart, Yes! This is something to feel thankful for?!

"It is not happy people who are thankful, but thankful people who are happy." -Unknown






           

I am thankful for YOU, my readers!

You're welcome to share in the comments below!

Let's be thankful together this week!

~ Courtney 

10 comments:

  1. Psalm 107:1 Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
    for his steadfast love endures forever! You are right, it's not hard to find things to be thankful for when we are looking for them!! I just received an email confirmation from amazon for 80 rolls of individually wrapped toilet paper. I instantly thought our account had gotten hacked, so I messaged Tim (who is in the basement on his computer- I am at the kitchen table. better lighting and access to snacks :). To my surprise (and delight!!) he found it online today for 69 cents a roll :) Im thankful for my thrifty web-developer husband for his care for our family and desire to save a couple bucks. $$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great one! Sounds like a great guy! Lol:):) And access to snacks!!! That's where I'd be!!!!! Haha. Good to hear from you, Nat:)

      Delete
  2. I'm incredibly thankful for family and friends. Thanks for the reminder Courtney. I will try to keep all this in mind be the next time Maddie spits her baby food all over the place. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...;);) I know it's hard to do in irritating moments! Family and friends ARE such a blessing! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I'm thankful for my wonderful husband who loves me, sweet children who keep me on my toes, and the freedom to homeschool. What a mighty God we serve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! Yes! We sure are blessed! Those are all wonderful things a lot of people don't have! :):)

      Delete
  4. Love this post & the timing is incredible. Very recently I was laying in bed (trying to go to sleep) but all I could do was smile and think how perfectly content I was at that moment. I just kept thinking how thankful I was for Nathan and who is is as a husband, dad & head of our house. How thankful I was for my 3 boys & the privilege it is to be able to stay home with them and to teach & train them in God's word & life. I was just so overcome with such peace & contentment at that moment about my life as it is and could not, not want to go to sleep quite yet.
    So this post just made me smile. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicki! What a wonderful feeling it is to be at peace with the life God has for us! It's such a gift! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for opening my eyes to things I should be thankful for. I am thankful for my family and beautiful new home that God has blessed us with. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You do have a wonderful family and home! We really are blessed! :)

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!