"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Monday, October 29, 2018

Personal Hygiene Kits

I just read about this idea last night, while doing a little on-line research...

I was reading about the importance of homeschool families making sure they were still getting up and getting ready in the mornings.

The author acknowledged the temptation for homeschool families to not pay much attention to their physical appearance. 

What's the point? - is the thought. 

The author of the article encouraged homeschool moms to teach their children proper daily hygiene, and to take pride in their appearance, even on days when they are just staying home.

One of her suggestions was to give each child their own little basket or box to house some hygiene supplies.

I instantly knew I wanted to try it!

We had to go to the grocery store today anyway, so we picked up a few things for the project...


If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that my children do a "morning routine" each day after breakfast, which includes basic hygiene tasks such as brushing hair and teeth.

But, other than toothbrushes, they've never had their own supplies.

So I told them we were going to be making "personal hygiene kits" today, and each of them would have their own.

They seemed excited about it!

I bought them each a crayon box, and they put their names on them...


Next, we filled them with toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, nail-clippers, chapstick, lotion, etc...

This is Soren's... He put a flashlight in his for some reason, haha...


The children enjoyed making theirs personal, with items only for them. 

Nola wanted to keep hair ties in hers...


And Roman thought his kit would be a good place to store his mouth retainer... 


I also made sure they each had lotion in their kits because our winters are so brutal!

We battle chapped hands every year.

*sigh

Other than that, I am hoping this new system will help us with two things...

One - Our chapsticks and hair combs always had an uncanny way of growing legs and running off!

We could never find one or the other when we needed it!

I would buy my kids a chapstick and within a week they would tell me they lost it!

So, I hope these kits will provide a more organized and convenient place to store these items.

And two - I think it'll be healthier for us!

In the past they would share toothpaste, nail-clippers, and even chapstick at times.

By giving them their own supplies, they won't be sharing as many germs - and I am happy about that this cold and flu season!

They've decided to store their kits in the cupboard beneath the bathroom sink.

I sure hope they will feel a sort of jurisdiction over their kit, and take care and keep track of the items.

Time will tell, of course, if this will prove to be a good system for us.

Roman made a noteworthy statement. He pointed out that it will be much quicker and easier to pack for our next overnight trip! He said, "All we'll have to do is grab our kit, and throw it in our suitcase!"

Great point!


What about you? How do you store your children's hygiene items?

I am sure you have an attractive and efficient way!

I know this because I have some very organized friends!

I am always impressed when I go into the homes of my mom-friends.

Playing house is just fun! Isn't it?!


Take care, friends...


xo,


~ Courtney ~

11 comments:

  1. Great idea Courtney! My kids each have a drawer in the bathroom but the drawers always get messy with toothpaste. The pencil box keeps everything clean and organized. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Sadie! So far we’ve enjoyed our new kits. It’s working out well. 😊

      Delete
  2. Actually, your idea is neater than mine. We each have a cup stored in our medicine cabinet with some of our personal hygiene items and aim to rinse and clean them every Monday. This has worked out for us. I keep their lip care in their pencil boxes and we share lotion, centrally located in our "school room"... aka our kitchen.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I’m learning based on your comment and Sadie’s, that they’re pencil boxes and not crayon boxes, like I called them. LOL! Anyway, thanks for the feedback! Do you know of a lotion that keeps hands from cracking and bleeding in the winter? I’m always looking for winter-worthy lotion!

      Delete
  3. This is a fun idea Courtney! I love how they can learn to take care of their own things, and the color coded part helps with who owns what. We have friends that keep these in their trunk (along with a washcloth and a $5 subway gift card) to give to someone they might meet that is homeless- I think they may put the things in a gallon sized bag. What a sweet way to minister to someone who might need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea, Nat! A few packets of ‘Hot Hands’ in the gallon bag would be a great addition for the winter months. And putting the bags together would make a great family project! Thanks for the idea! Good to hear from you! 😊

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comment. Welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First aid box I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve learn some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for
    revisiting. Desirable Secrets

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!