"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, February 3, 2024

Getting Back to Normal Routines

 It's a beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon here, and I just sat down for a "calculated rest." 


That's a term I just learned from my physical therapist recently, and I'm getting a lot of milage out of it. 

😉

He doesn't want me on my feet being too active just yet. Although I've been given the green light to slowly work back into my household routine.

My chores are getting easier, and I can feel my strength returning.

I am now 9 weeks post-op from my hip surgery and am doing quite well, as long as I'm careful.

I spent the morning doing some light housework, like catching up on laundry and watering houseplants. As I moved throughout the house with my watering can, I was struck by the look of disrepair in my front room.


At the start of each winter it always seems like a good idea to cover the couch with my electric blanket so it's ready to go for early morning Bible readings, afternoon rests, and for watching PBS specials in the evenings. 

It is cozy, but I'm tired of how messy it looks.

We're experiencing mild temperatures at the moment anyway. So I decided to put it away and tidy up.

I am so thankful I am physically able to do a task like this! Just as recent as a few weeks ago I wouldn't have attempted it.

It did open a small can of worms, however, and I found myself pleasantly distracted looking through some books.

I forgot I had a picture book of early American architecture...


And a book on William Morris' designs...


(Some of these "vintage" looks are coming back into fashion, you know, and I am here for it!)

After some dusting and straightening up, order to my front room has been restored.


Earlier this week I went for a short walk on the trails. A daily habit I had to give up since surgery, and I really missed it! I can't wait to build up the endurance to get back to my pre-surgery route.

For my first time back, I only walked through the orchard and to this spot behind the barn. 


I stood for a few minutes to listen to the birds, breathe the fresh air, and feel the sun on my face before turning back for home.

When I can't get out to walk, I enjoy taking a virtual walk by watching An Ethereal Morning Walk in a Dreamlike Cotswold Village on YouTube.

This always makes me want to move to England. It is just so charming and storybook-like.


Some wholesome soul... some hero of humanity decided to take it upon himself to video record the most pleasant walk.

He shows you all the enchanting cottages and gardens, takes you past the church, and even down into a little ravine with a stream of water.

I prop my phone up to watch as I go about my morning routine of getting dressed and making my bed. 

                 It's medicinal, I tell ya!


  Hoping you can enjoy some calculated rest this weekend.


              ~ Courtney 










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!