"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Friday, February 9, 2024

Homeschooling in Hard Times

 Some have asked me how homeschooling has been during my recovery.


Of course, I started the school year as any homeschool mother does - with hope, a strong plan, and no thought of surgery on the horizon. 

But when recovery became difficult, I had to let good enough be good enough.


Years ago, when I first embarked on the homeschooling journey, I asked God to push me aside, to dwell in our home daily, and do a work in our family. I seemed to know I'd mess everything up if done in my own strength.

"He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." Philippians 1:6

With my measly efforts out of the way, I couldn't do much to hinder my children this school year. God has always been in control.

"In Your unfailing love You will lead the people You have redeemed. In Your strength You will guide them."  Exodus 15:13

With that being said, I still realize my role in it, aiming for excellence and faithfulness to the curriculum each day.

"Live a life worthy of the calling you have received." Ephesians 4:1

So when I had to back off to focus on recovery, I accepted offers from extended family to help keep the academic ball rolling, and trusted my children to step up.


I certainly felt as though we were hanging on by a thread some days, but now looking back I see that it was always more than good enough.

I am back in the saddle again, and am thankful to realize, as I sit with my children each day to guide them in their studies, that they are not behind. They were trucking right along throughout my recovery.

(Although, the homeschooling lifestyle does teach you that there's no such thing as ahead or behind.)

God knew last fall that I'd be getting this surgery, throwing a wrench in my well-crafted school plans for a short time. So I trust we are right where we are supposed to be.

I suspect, as rough as my recovery was some days, that it wasn't actually a hard time after all.

Just a brief season where God was doing something different than what we're used to.

" 'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord." Isaiah 55:8


💐


~ Courtney 


Please note: To keep the creative juices flowing, and to keep journaling a record for my family, I will be experimenting with shorter, more frequent posts on this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!