"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, February 6, 2016

A children's cabin




     Hello again!

    One of my goals for this blog is to record some family stories.

I thought I'd start with the story of this little cabin:

                    


     This is three of my children with one of their cousins last summer. 


     We bought our farmhouse, along with 20-acres of surrounding land, in the summer of 2009. One of the things that made us fall in love with this place was the land! It had many wonderfully old trees! We enjoyed our antique trees for several years until one night in August of 2013.
     In the middle of the night we were awakened by a loud thunderstorm. I remember my bedroom lit up unbelievably bright and there were loud cracking noises! I sat up, confused. Micah came rushing into the room saying, "We've got to get everyone to the basement!"
     We were experiencing a tornado. Our property was ruined.





     No!!!.....   Our beloved old trees!!!!



     We were devastated.....



     The kids however, did not care... Haha.....



     We've always thought it was weird that our yard was destroyed, but our house was untouched.




     In the months that followed, we did our best to recover. In the process, we were left with an amazing amount of lumber. So.... What does one do when one has found themselves in possession of a huge amount of lumber?......
     Begin construction on a kid's play cabin, of course!!!


                             


     The kids are excited!!!!! Their dad is building them a cabin! This was during the building process...


                


     

                  


     And this is the "after".....

               


     The kids love their homemade cabin! It has a loft in it:

              


     I love that I can see it from my kitchen window.....

             


     I can watch the kids play while I cook supper! This picture must have been taken in the fall. I spy a little pumpkin on the cabin's porch.


     This was the cabin on the 4th of July last year.....

           


     This is what the cabin looks like at Christmas.....



    



(A wreath, a vintage sled, and our three-legged cat, Max.)


     And this is what the cabin looks like today......

            
(Literally today, haha, I snapped this picture this morning.)


     These are some other shots of the cabin from this winter.....

           

           


     Aren't these icicles beautiful?! This was just the other day....

         


     I hope you enjoyed the story of our little cabin! For us, an invaluable lesson was learned:

     When life hands you tornados...... Build a cabin!!!

     Thanks so much for reading,

     ~ Courtney


6 comments:

  1. Love the story. The pics are really neat. From the 4 seasons. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I mentioned that your house has great curb appeal and thought you painted it, I think it was because the trees weren't there anymore. When I first came to your house your beautiful foursquare was hiding behind all those large trees. I believe everything happens for a reason.

    Now you have young trees to grow alongside your children. Someday when your babies are grown you will look at your yard and say, I remember when we planted these trees.

    The storm revealed the wonderful character of your home, gave you materials for the new cabin that your kids now play in, and created plenty of work for you all to do together as a family. A blessing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I remember when you made that comment! That makes sense! You're right, the house was not visible from the road back then. What a blessing your comments on this post are to me! Micah and his "crew" have planted thousands of trees since the storm, and that is exactly how we want our children to feel about them when they're grown. Thanks so much for reading, Sadie! :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun cabin! I'm guessing that will be a very special memory for your children.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!