"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Monday, February 8, 2016

Kitchen Makeover

It's been said that the kitchen is the heart of the home.

In our home it is!

As the woman and homemaker in my home, it is where I spend most of my time.

It's important to me that I love my kitchen!



                   
(This is a picture of my kitchen from last spring.)


I began my last post by saying its one of my goals to record some history of our house on this blog. That's also what I'd like to do today. We've renovated most of this house ourselves in the six years we've lived here. We wanted a "fixer-upper" that we could pour our hearts into. The kitchen was the first room we tackled. It's a room we've done a lot to over the years. It's had quite the evolution, but I don't want to create a boringly long, detailed post with 100 pictures. Basically, I'd like to show you what the kitchen looked like when we bought our house, and what it looks like today. Are you with me? Of course you are, who doesn't love a good before and after?


The kitchen "Before" .....







I've tried to get pictures facing the same direction as the before pictures that I have. This is the same perspective today:



Now remember my disclaimer from my very first post where I told you I'm not a photographer? Please don't expect good quality photos from me! These "after" pictures were all snapped with my phone. I know that's a big no-no but it's the best I can do in this season of my life right now. 


Here's another before.....





And today.....



Before.....




Today.....




When I say today I literally mean today. I snapped these pictures during nap time. The kids asked me today if we could start decorating for Valentine's Day so you'll see hearts in the windows of some of these pictures. I thought about taking them down for the pictures but then I remembered that I want my readers to view my blog as a real- life blog. I'm not a designer and I certainly don't have time to carve out half the day for a photo shoot, so.... hearts in the windows it will be!


Another "before" at another angle....


(This one is technically a "during".)


That same angle today....




In this next picture you can see Roman as a baby playing in the next room.....




And today....




Another one that could be considered a "during".....







Today....



You'll see in the before picture that there's a little shelf for a microwave. I use the shelf now for cookbooks and a vintage scale....



A few other shots of my kitchen....





This is where the baby eats now. We have finally moved on from a highchair! I'm very excited about it!




This picture is from last summer when I deck out my kitchen with the hydrangeas that grow in our yard.




And these pictures are from last winter when the grocery store starts selling tulips.





Micah built our kitchen island and I was able to find some pictures of him working on it....




Roman, who was two at the time, helped too!




And lastly, some beautiful morning sunlight streaming into the kitchen....




I really love sunbeams in a house! I just may do a post on it someday! ;)




Thanks for reading about my kitchen makeover! The heart of our home! I really love my kitchen and believe every woman should love hers, too! I'd like to continue my house makeovers in a series on this blog. I'll do one room per post and show you the before and after pictures, like today.

I love getting your comments! They mean so much to me! 

~Courtney

6 comments:

  1. Now that is a transformation! Where does one find plaid carpet and why would it be a good idea to use it in the kitchen? The things people do to beautiful old homes. You all have brought that kitchen back to life. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...Sadie, we asked ourselves the same question about that plaid carpet! Haha! We were happy to see it go and to get down the home's original hard wood! Thanks so much for the compliments! It means so much to me! :):)

      Delete
  2. You and Micah make a great team! What an amazing difference....the old has gone. The new looks so fresh, open, light, and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee! Our house has been a fun hobby for Micah and I over the years! I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  3. We have looked at a lot of kitchens, and my husband and I agree that this is the most amazing kitchen makeover we've seen. The cabinets and walls went well with the plaid carpet, but the room was too dark. The way you painted it and redid the island really added light, and it restored the original beauty of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Essie, thank you so much! You've made my day! I agree about it being way too dark before. Except for having the counters and sink professionally installed, we did everything ourselves, so, our hearts are really wrapped up in it. Getting comments like yours gives me the strength and encouragement to keep doing what I do! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!