"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Decorating with Birds

I've never set out to decorate my home according to a certain theme.

When I'm shopping for my home I simply look for items that speak to me; things that put a flutter in my heart.

I've noticed, however, that I tend to gravitate toward the same types of things.





                                  

                            I've unintentionally acquired quite a few "birds" for my home.

                                             It didn't happen over night, of course.

                                                    These things never do.

                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    The birds out my kitchen window are a peaceful sight to me as I go about my work. God's beauty bringing comfort to my life. Watching all the different types of birds visit our feeder makes me happy. I believe the items in my home should make me happy, as well! 

    So I wondered, would you like a tour of my birds? Most of the birds in my home are in pictures on my walls. I have some landscapes, botanicals, and a few ships, but today it's about Birds!

     If you are not passionate about home decorating, I could understand that a post such as this would be tremendously boring. If you're like me, however, you'll eat something like this up!



                                                             A Sanderling.....

     

                               


                                                                  A Dotterel.....



        My mother drew and framed these birds. The initials d.d. tell me she made this before she was married. I love having it in my home now......

                                


                                                          Cinnyris Asiaticus.....





                                   


                                                                Titmouse.....



                                   


                                            White Wagtail.... and an antique book....

                                 


                                            A peek inside this beautiful, old book.....

  


                                            I have such a love for antique books.....

  


                                          This little glass bird sits on my mantle.....




  


                          And this white ceramic bird sits on my kitchen window sill.....

                                   


       A pair of birds hang on a kitchen cupboard, looking out the window at their friends.....

                                   


                            The bird in the top picture is an original painting on velvet! 

                                   


   It's the only piece of art in my home that is on velvet. When I purchased it, it came with this:


    



                               But probably my most favorite bird is this baby owl.....
                                           (Shhh.... Don't tell my other birds....)

                              


                                             He just looks sweet, doesn't he?


                                                       A quail candlestick.....

                             


                                             A white bird my mom gave me.....

                             


                     And this red cardinal that is technically a Christmas ornament, 
                                but I keep him out during the winter months.....

                             


                          My mother-in-law gave us this helpful little book of birds:

                                


    Whenever there's a new bird at the feeder that we don't recognize or know the name of, the kids and I enjoy looking through this book to see if we can find it.....

                               


                             During the winter I keep it open to the Cardinal's page....

                               


               Hanging above my daughter's crib is this branch of card stock birds.....

                               


                      And also in the girl's room, I keep these children's books on birds....

  


                  I read old books to my children often. We have a mix of old and new.....

                            


                                           A wrought iron antique birdcage.....

                            


                 And last but not least.... My angry bird holding a blue jay. (Don't ask)......

                           


                                        ( I had to throw a little humor in there.)


                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


     Well, I certainly hope you enjoyed my tour of birds. They enrich our home life, and isn't that what decorating is all about?! What about in your home? Do you decorate with things that make you happy? I love getting your comments! Please share what makes you happy in your home!


                                                             Until next time,


                                                               ~Courtney

12 comments:

  1. I love your birds! I especially like the owl too. How fun would it be to show that owl to the kids and have them tell you stories about the owl's adventures. Ben would love to write about the owl. What a great idea to have the book of birds near your feeder. Have you been to For the Birds on Broadway in De Pere? She has great stuff in that store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but Micah has! I've driven by there, I know what you mean. I really should stop in! I love your idea about the owl's adventures! I never would have thought of that! Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  2. I love your birds Courtney. I too love birds. Particularly Cardinals (redbirds I call em). I always decorate my Christmas tree with Redbirds!!! God often sends redbirds in my path in times of great need or encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! I'd love to see the colorful, tropical birds that I bet you see down where you live! Thanks so much for reading my blog!

      Delete
  3. I love your birds Courtney. I too love birds. Particularly Cardinals (redbirds I call em). I always decorate my Christmas tree with Redbirds!!! God often sends redbirds in my path in times of great need or encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are delightful! I have a bird section in my home that I love. It includes a wood block that says "this place is for the birds". One of my favorite clicks is a bird clock that chirps different birds each hour. I actually bought it with some money Micah gave me for a gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how neat! I'd love to see your bird clock. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  6. That was many years ago. I had no idea your mom was such an artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she has several drawings and paintings in her home that she had done when she was young. I have a memory of a very large ship watercolor that she had painted and framed and it hung in my childhood home.

      Delete
  7. I never realized you had so many bird pictures in your home. I love it. I am glad I am not the only one that is a bird watcher. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that's right, you guys are quite the bird lovers, too! I love your bird viewing window!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!